Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Vegetable Scallop Stir Fry on Soccer Night!

I love spring.  This would be my favorite time of year if it weren't for the fact that Diego is in school and we can't play as much.  The weather and everything that's blooming in my garden seems all so fresh and new.  I can't wait to start harvesting more than the strawberries I've been getting every morning!

So, in the essence of spring, I've decided to make these fantastic scallops that I found at Whole Foods with an array of fresh vegetables.  Normally, I would make a risotto w/asparagus and place grilled scallops on top.  However, today I was thinking stir fry.  It's quick, easy, and I have to coach soccer today...so it has to be fast.  I'll leave the risotto and asparagus for the weekend. ;)-

Here's What Ya Need:
Fresh Bay Scallops (small..but NOT tiny!) * canola oil (or peanut)
Vegetables (I'm using snap peas, carrots, kale (for iron), snow peas, broccoli)
Ginger * Low-sodium Soy Sauce * Brown Rice * Sesame Seeds * Garlic

Here's How Ya Do It:
1.  Take a stir fry pan. (high heat) [I'm using my paella pan.]
2.  Place canola (or peanut) oil and spread around the pan.
3.  Add garlic and ginger to flavor the oil (about 1-2 min)
4.  STIR.
5.  Add scallops and vegetables.
6.  Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes on HIGH heat.
     [Remember never to use olive oil on high heat because it
       becomes carcinogenic.]
7.  Remove cover and stir.  Scallops should be solid white.
8.  Add soy and sesame seeds.
9.  Stir again.
10.  Remove and serve over brown rice (I cheat and get the brown rice from
       Whole Foods that you can heat up in the microwave..it's awesome.)

I'd like to add that there's never any harm in using frozen organic vegetables.  As a matter of fact, there are days when I rely on them.  They have just as many vitamins (if not more in some cases) as fresh picked vegetables and they're a great time saver.  This is a good time to grab a bag if you haven't got chopped fresh veggies handy.

I think we all try to shoot for "super mom"... but most days we're blessed if we end up with "at least I got it accomplished mom".  On that note, say your prayers and have a great time with your family around the dinner table tonight.  - Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment