Thursday, March 17, 2011

A Great Day For Horseback Riding and Rodeo!

I know it's tough to pass up all of the chili at the rodeo because it doesn't fall into our Lenten meal plan.  However, I have a great veggie chili that I'm making with a side of jalapeno corn bread that may put the "Yee-Hah!" back in your step! So, while we're out checking on Diego's pony and petting llamas at the rodeo today..I can look forward to coming home to a sweet-smelling pot of Texas goodness.

What Ya Need: (I Use All Organic)

(Spices:  Cumin * Chili Powder * Cayenne)
Pepper & Salt (Optional) * Drained Can Of Black Beans
Drained Kidney Beans * Drained Can of Corn * Large Peeled Tomatoes (4)
Diced Zucchini * Diced Mushrooms (Portabello) * Chopped Onion
Chopped Red Bell Pepper * Vegetable Stock (1 Cup) * Garlic (minced)
Serrano Pepper (Two - Chopped) * Canola Oil (2 Tsp) * Tomato Sauce


How Ya Do It:

1. In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
2.  Add onions, bell peppers, garlic and serrano peppers.
3.  Stir until soft.
4.  Add zucchini, corn, and mushrooms.
5.  Stir until vegetables give off their liquid and brown a bit.
6.  Add chili powder, cumin, salt (optional), and cayenne.
7.  Stir for about 20-30 seconds.
8.  Add tomatoes and tomato sauce and stir well.
9.  Add beans and vegetable stock.
10.  Bring to a boil.
11.  Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer.
12.  Stir occasionally for about 20 minutes.

Here's My Cheat Today:  I'm using an instant box of jalapeno corn bread mix from Whole Foods.  You just add water, place in muffin pan and bake!

How I Plate This:

1.  I take a large soup bowl and break up the corn bread
     and spread on the bottom.
2.  I take a large soup spoon of the veggie chili and pour on top.
3.  I garnish with cilantro (chopped) and a wedge of avocado!


This is a great dish to reheat and serve for lunch the next day.  No one ever gets tired of this chili in my house.

On a side note, I just want to say that during my morning prayers I realized that this Lent has been going by quickly.  I'm not sure who this blog is helping more..me or you...but I do feel a greater sense of peace in my life since Lent started.  Right now, I see the world running around me and I feel calm and steady.  All things are cared for and life is simple.  It's pretty awesome.  Have a blessed day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment