Saturday, March 12, 2011

Greek Peas over Pearl-sized Couscous!

For dinner tonight I am making a traditional Greek pea dish and pouring it over pearl-sized couscous mixed with chopped cilantro.  The sauce from the pea dish will add an amazing flavor to the couscous.  I sometimes use brown rice or quinoa for this dish (if you can't find pearl-sized couscous regular couscous is okay).

What you will need:

1 bag Frozen Peas * Cilantro (finely chopped) * Red Bell Pepper (thinly sliced)
2 cans of diced tomatoes * Minced Garlic * Pepper (Salt optional)
Couscous (pearl-sized) * Onion (finely chopped) * Whole Wheat Pita Bread

How Ya Do It!

Pearl-sized Couscous:
1.  Boil water with 2 tsp. of Salt in a large pot.
2.  Add couscous once it is boiling (not before)
3.  Cook until tender.
4.  Remove from heat and drain.
5.  Mix Cilantro (finely chopped) into the couscous. (Substitute Oregano)
6. Add Pepper to taste (Salt optional)

[Note:  If you use regular couscous, simply boil water in a pan and keep small couscous in a bowl.  Pour boiling water into bowl and let sit for 5 minutes (covered).  Drain.]

Greek Peas:
1.  Add Olive oil, garlic and onions into a large saute pan on medium heat.
     (2 minutes to flavor pan). Stir.
2.  Add frozen peas (Stir for 3 minutes)
3.  Add Pepper (Salt optional)
4.  Add Red Bell Peppers (thinly sliced)
5.  Add tomatoes and continue to stir for 2-3 minutes until it all gets soft.

Mixin' It Together!
1.  Take the couscous and pour it into a large pasta dish.
2.  Take the Greek Peas and pour over the couscous.
3.  Heat the Pita Bread..place it on the side of the dish and SERVE!

This is a super easy dish to make.  I normally chop all of my vegetables at the beginning of the week and place into containers (I pre-plan my meals because I'm OCD, don't judge me).  This dish only takes me about 15 minutes to make once the water has boiled (FYI).

I hope you enjoy this Lenten meal this evening as much as we will!

No comments:

Post a Comment