Monday, March 14, 2011
Rain, Rain Go Away! I'm Making Shrimp Taco's Today!
Our first "official" day of spring break and it's raining! Boo! Our beach plans are cancelled so I've decided to go ahead and make some shrimp taco's for dinner tonight. Thank goodness we can eat shellfish! I will not be adding cheese to this dish..but it will still be super-tasty with my home made tomatillo salsa. Let's hope the rain clears up as we make this yummy, sunny dish!
What You Will Need:
1 bag of baby shrimp (for us I buy a scoopful from Whole Foods)
Corn Tortillas * Cilantro (finely chopped) * Onion (diced)
Red & Green Bell Pepper (diced) * 3 large Limes (sliced)
Jalapeno Pepper * 8 tomatillo's * Avocado (sliced)
Tomatillo Salsa (Prepare This First):
1. Grab your blender!
2. Slice Jalapeno pepper and remove center seeds (or keep if you like super hot)
3. Slice Tomatillos (these are small, green Mexican tomatoes)
4. Take 1/3 of your chopped onion and place in blender with
jalapeno and tomatillos.
6. Add a small amount of the cilantro and lime juice from 1/2 a lime.
8. Salt (optional) and Pepper to taste.
1. Take a large saute pan (med. heat) and add about a 1/4 cup of water.
Add shrimp and cover.
2. Toss is Pepper (salt optional)
3. I also like to add a bit of paprika if you have any in your herb collection.
4. Stir until pink.
5. Add onions, cilantro and red/green bell peppers.
6. Continue to stir while adding lime juice to mixture.
7. Remove from fire and cover.
Mixin' It Together:
1. Take the tortilla's and heat on the stove.
2. Place a large spoonful of shrimp mix into the taco.
3. Add the tomatillo salsa and a slice of avocado on top.
4. Place a slice of lime on the side and ENJOY!
Note: I like to add a cup of heated black beans and white rice on the side of this dish along with a healthy salad!
I hope you're enjoying your spring break and this dish too! Diego and I will be thinking of something indoors to do today (besides making shrimp tacos)!