Monday, March 28, 2011

Honey...I'm Home!

What a FANTASTIC time we had in Savannah.  Yes, there was work...but we got to play a lot too.  It was fun exploring all of the historical sites and lovely restaurants.  I learned a new "low country" recipe (as they call it) while I was there.  It's a fabulous pot boil with everything your little heart could desire...and all Orthodox Lent friendly!!   As a matter of fact, this pot boil is so easy even Despina can do it! (wink, D!)


Here's What Ya Need:

Small Red Potatoes * Shrimp (they use in-shell...I like mine cleaned)
Snow Crab (1/4 lb) * Corn on the Cob (enough for each person)
Crawfish (Yuck! So I don't add)
Oysters (Once again, your choice. I'm not a fan)
Old Bay Seasoning * Cayenne Seasoning
Ground Pepper

(If you're lucky then you bought Paula Deen's seasoning, like me! Hee.)


Here's How Ya Do It:
1.  Heat a large pot of water on medium-high heat.
2.  Add seasoning and bring to a boil.
3.  Add potatoes and cook for 10 minutes.
4.  Add corn, crab, and crawfish and cook for 5-7 minutes.
5.  Once it looks almost cooked...add the shrimp and oysters.
6.  Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
7.  Drain the water out.
8.  Plate in a large round dish.
9.  Add a bit of cayenne seasoning and ground pepper over the top for a spicy taste.
10.  Enjoy

Really you can use any type of shellfish in this dish (they also add sausage..but that's a no-go right now).  Also, I add the extra seasoning instead of using the butter...but that's just me!

I hope you enjoy this recipe...it's so easy when you just get to throw everything in and watch it cook!  I guess I'd better start unpacking our suitcases and get the laundry going...soccer practice today so it's super busy!  I hope you all enjoy this Georgian Low Country dish, YA'LL!

No comments:

Post a Comment