Friday, March 18, 2011

Lizzie, Lizzie always busy! How does your garden grow?

Today became "Garden Day".  Every year I plant this crazy organic garden and this year isn't any different.  I LOVE to experiment with different types of veggies every season and I like to try new varieties.  I cleared out the old a few weeks ago and have been living off my last crop.  After letting the soil rest a few weeks, I began to add new organic soil and compost.  I crop rotate so that I can keep my lovely little earthworms and rid those nasty pests (like tomato hornworms) by confusing them!

So, that means I didn't have time to cook up something fab today.  SORRY...I know!  We ran on left-overs today and I have to say those yummy spring rolls were a great thing to munch on while enjoying the sunny day outside!!  I added in an organic green tea with mint and lemon and VOILA! LUNCH & DINNER!

Here's what I planted today...heirloom tomatoes (various types including stripey's and purple's), yellow & green bell peppers, cucumbers (I like the British), zucchini, crooked neck squash, strawberries, various herbs, mesclum, better green lettuce, and banana bells.

This year I'm keeping it nice and simple in my garden because last season I went a little crazy on the growing end and it became a jungle!  This season I think it's going to be great because I'm trying new varieties of heirloom tomatoes and I can't wait to turn them into some fabulous dish...hmmmmm...it's already started me thinking!

Speaking of tomatoes...here's a quick recipe I like to make with an unripened tomato (slightly under-ripe please!).


Here's What Ya Need:

Slightly under-ripe tomato * Balsamic Vinegar
Olive Oil * Greek Oregano * Pepper * Crushed Croutons

Here's How Ya Do It:
1.  Heat 2 tsp. of olive oil in sauce pan.
2.  Lightly drizzle olive oil on tomato.
3.  Take Greek oregano, pepper, and croutons and mix
     on high speed in a food processor for about 30 seconds.
4.  Take tomato and dip in crouton mix.
5.  Add tomato into heated pan and lightly fry for 1 minute each side.
6.  Place on tray and add a drizzle of balsamic vinegar on top!
7.  SERVE!

I need to wash up and start folding laundry...so have a great evening and don't forget to say your prayers! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment