Monday, April 4, 2011

Down The Hatch With Bad Routers!

Sorry there were not any blogs this weekend.  I was having router/internet issues.  AGH!

On a good note, however, we had a wonderful time at my Uncle and Aunt's Ranch (Double S Ranch) in Flynn, Texas!!  We had our family reunion and it was great to see the FIFTH generation of family running around the ranch this year.  There was, of course, lots of great food.  Diego and his cousins went fishing and Diego caught THREE fish!  It was amazing and I can't wait for the next reunion!

So, now that I've told you about that...I bet you're wondering what I'm cooking tonight?  Well, I found some tasty lump crab meat at Whole Foods that I'm going to mix with corn bread mix, bell peppers, and hot peppers to make into a nice little baked dish.  I'm also going to make a vermicelli and spanish rice with peas and corn to go with it.  How does that sound for a nice Lenten meal?  Let's get started!

Here's What Ya Need:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees!

Lump Crab Meat * Corn Bread Mix (add water only mix)
Bell Peppers (finely chopped) * Hot Peppers (finely chopped)
Onions (finely chopped) *  Cilantro * Oregano
Vermicelli * Spanish Rice (whole grain) * Peas (drained)
Corn (drained) * Small ramekins or single serving oven-safe dish
Canola Oil * Fresh Herbs From Your Garden (any of your favorite)

[Today I'm using red bell peppers because it looks good in the little crab cakes]

Here's How Ya Do It:
Crab Dish:
1.  Take corn bread mix (the add water only kind) and add a little bit of sugar to it.
     (maybe just 2 tsp) and stir.
2.  In a separate bowl, take your lump crab meat and mix in the bell peppers and hot peppers.
3.  Mix in the onions (optional), cilantro, oregano.  Stir.
5.  Pour the lump crab meat mixture into the corn bread mix.
6.  Mix thoroughly.
7.  Add pepper and salt (optional).
8.  Take a scoop of the mix (make sure you get a bit of everything).
9.  Place scoop inside individual dishes (ramekins).
10.   Place dishes into oven.
       
Depending on the size of your dish it will cook differently.  My single-serving dishes will cook this recipe in 10-12 minutes.

Vegetarian Paella:
1.  Add canola oil to pan over low-medium heat.
2.  Add the vermicelli.  Cook until browned.
3.  Add the rice and 1 cup of vegetable stock.
4.  You will have to stir this a lot so it doesn't burn or stick.
5.  Add stock as needed.
6.  Cover and cook for 3-5 minutes-stirring occasionally.
7.  When the rice is done, add the drained peas and corn.
8.  Add oregano and cilantro. Salt and Pepper to taste.
9.  You can also add onions and bell peppers for color.
10.  Mix and serve.

How To Plate This:

I take a spoon of my paella and place it in the middle of the plate.  I then remove the corn-crab mixture from the ramekin and place it on top of the rice.  I add cilantro on top for color!

Enjoy this dish with a nice side salad and fruit for dessert!!

No comments:

Post a Comment